Subject: [sup-devel] Backtrace, and confusion

From: Asheesh Laroia <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 23:45:48 -0500 (EST)

Hey all,

I presume sup is sort of end-of-life'd at this point, but I wondered if 
some people here might have an idea for how to address the following 
crash.

I experience it with current git on my sup database; I just start sup, and 
get the familiar sup screen only to nearly immediately see it crash with 
this backtrace:

--- NoMethodError from thread: load threads for thread-index-mode
undefined method `person_for' for 
#<Redwood::ContactManager:0x7f123d552570>
./lib/sup/util.rb:572:in `send'
./lib/sup/util.rb:572:in `method_missing'
./lib/sup/person.rb:82:in `from_name_and_email'
./lib/sup/index.rb:215:in `build_message'
./lib/sup/index.rb:216:in `[]'
./lib/sup/index.rb:216:in `build_message'
./lib/sup/index.rb:155:in `each_id_by_date'
./lib/sup/thread.rb:338:in `call'
./lib/sup/thread.rb:338:in `load_n_threads'
./lib/sup/index.rb:155:in `each_id_by_date'
./lib/sup/index.rb:252:in `each_id'
./lib/sup/index.rb:252:in `each'
./lib/sup/index.rb:252:in `each_id'
./lib/sup/index.rb:155:in `each_id_by_date'
./lib/sup/thread.rb:334:in `load_n_threads'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/sup/modes/thread-index-mode.rb:640:in 
`__unprotected_load_n_threads'
(eval):12:in `load_n_threads'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/sup/modes/thread-index-mode.rb:624:in 
`load_n_threads_background'
./lib/sup.rb:79:in `reporting_thread'
./lib/sup.rb:77:in `initialize'
./lib/sup.rb:77:in `new'
./lib/sup.rb:77:in `reporting_thread'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/sup/modes/thread-index-mode.rb:623:in 
`load_n_threads_background'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/sup/modes/thread-index-mode.rb:694:in 
`__unprotected_load_threads'
(eval):12:in `load_threads'
bin/sup:223

I reproduced it against current git by running:

ruby -I lib -w bin/sup

I also reproduced it wih sup 0.11 as packaged in Debian.

I'm actually a bit confused; I tried to debug it, but it seems the 
NoMethodError is somewhat unwarranted; the method is defined in 
lib/sup/person.rb. Unless I don't underestand Ruby, which is actually very 
likely; I'm more of a Python programmer myself.

So, hope to hear back,

-- Asheesh.
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 09:46:38 -0300

Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> Hey all,
> 
> I presume sup is sort of end-of-life'd at this point, but I wondered
> if some people here might have an idea for how to address the
> following crash.
> 
> I experience it with current git on my sup database; I just start
> sup, and get the familiar sup screen only to nearly immediately see
> it crash with this backtrace:
> 

Due to the EOL state of Sup you mention I didn't pursue a similar crash
I had, but I observed that parts of the ContactManager used case
sensitive lookups; so when I entered an address of mine using uppercase
letters, it caused pretty funky behavior.  I have no patch to offer,
though.

-- 
Alvaro Herrera