Subject: Re: [sup-devel] sup 0.13

From: Gaute Hope <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 09:24:23 +0200

Hi,

There has recently been opened an issue regarding this:

https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/issues/60

Regards, Gaute

On 09. mai 2013 03:39, Horacio Sanson wrote:
> UTF-8 handles most cases but I still have to deal with emails in
> ISO2022-JP, Shift-JIS and EUC-JP. After some research it seems Xapian has
> no support for Asian languages. I will try to make some tests and open an
> issue if I cannot make it work.
> 
> I can see in the sup configuration file that the stem language can be
> configured but there are no CJK stemmers for Xapian that I can find.
> 
> 
> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Gaute Hope <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>>
>>
>> On 30. april 2013 11:44, Horacio Sanson wrote:
>>> Great to see Sup getting back on track again..
>>>
>>> I submitted some patches for the Gmail dumper of Heliotrope some time ago
>>> but the lack of non alphabet languages (Japanese, Chinese) made it
>>> impossible for me to keep using heliotrope/turnesole.
>>>
>>> The main issue to support Japanese/Chinese with heliotrope was that
>>> whistlepig (indexer) lacked the ability to tokenize these languages. Also
>>> the half baked UTF-8 support caused several issues with these languages.
>>>
>>> I would like to help in testing/implementing support for these languages,
>>> starting with Japanese, but I would require some guidance. First I would
>>> like to know is there is a way to configure the Xapian tokenizer
>>> (segmenter) within sup? Please consider that I am new to both sup and to
>>> Xapian.
>>
>> Hi Horacio,
>>
>> consider opening an issue at
>> https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/issues to make sure this doesn't
>> disappear. Some changes will probably be made to the indexer when going
>> to Mail (from RMail), but I hope to be able to migrate the existing
>> index. Perhaps its time to get it right for arbitrary languages as well.
>> I am unfamiliar with Japanes/Chinese - does UTF-8 cover the needs?
>>
>> Mail is better at handling UTF-8 and I think there was some fork that
>> had some extra support for Japanese.
>>
>> Regards, Gaute
>>
>

---

From: Gaute Hope <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2013 13:54:22 +0200

On 28. april 2013 22:32, Hamish D wrote:
> We'd like to get version 0.13 of sup out soon.  There's a fair bit of
> work gone into sup since 0.12 was released (in January 2011) that it
> would be good to get out there. Once that is done we can then work on
> the bigger goals we have for 0.14 - see
> https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/wiki/Development#roadmap for
> those plans.
> 
> So the question is, are there any serious bugs that we should fix
> before releasing 0.13?

Greetings sup-devel and sup-talk,

Thanks to several contributors I think we should be getting ready for
0.13 now soon, we've removed a lot of old and deprecated stuff and
generally cleaned a bit up.

There is a new web page: http://supmua.org which is getting in shape and
a wiki which is quickly growing: https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/wiki

We have forked our own version of ncursesw (ncursesw-sup) which now is a
dependency for sup [1].

To be able to do the next release we need some testing of the current
state of 'develop' and the new ncursesw-sup gem. For instructions on how
to help out with testing the latest git version (develop) check out:
https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/wiki/Running-from-git

If you have any problems or questions please ask.

Report issues to: https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/issues

[1] https://rubygems.org/gems/ncursesw-sup

Regards,
Gaute

---

From: Gaute Hope <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 09:46:33 +0200

> We have forked our own version of ncursesw (ncursesw-sup) which now is a

I think we are as good as we are going to get now. Unless something big
comes up we will release 0.13 on Wednesday.

Regards, Gaute

---

From: Israel Herraiz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 13:02:36 +0200

Excerpts from Hamish D's message of Sun Apr 28 22:32:08 +0200 2013:
> before releasing 0.13? In particular are there any regressions from
> 0.12. I'm not aware of any at the moment.

I read the following in the roadmap:

  "Release sup-0.13 very soon: will not include maildir support or
  work on Ruby 2."

Does that mean that maildir support will be dropped? Or is it related
to maildir syncback? Will I be able to read maildirs using Sup 0.13?

Cheers,
Israel
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel

---

From: Gaute Hope <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 22:54:23 +0200

On 28. april 2013 22:32, Hamish D wrote:
> I've also lost track of what's gone on to the develop branch. Should
> 0.13 be based on the master branch or develop?

develop should be ready for 0.13.

I don't know if it is useful; but I set up a few milestones in the tracker.

Cheers, Gaute

---

From: Hamish D <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 21:32:08 +0100

So the question is, are there any serious bugs that we should fix
before releasing 0.13? In particular are there any regressions from
0.12. I'm not aware of any at the moment. Looking at the issue list on
github, there is:

Invalid date in ncursesw gemspec for Ruby 1.8
https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/issues/18

This is causing issues for gem installs.  #30 is a possible fix that
requires testing (by using ncurses-ruby instead of ncursesw).  Could
people try testing this branch on your own set up?

Unable to add sources
https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/issues/33

This is another issue we should at least look into before a release.
Any testing etc appreciated.

If you have a burning issue that you think should be fixed in 0.13,
please add it to the issue tracker now so we can decide.

Here's hoping we can get 0.13 out soon

Hamish

---

From: Matthieu Rakotojaona <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 01:15:31 +0200

> comes up we will release 0.13 on Wednesday.

Guys you are awesome. I am running sup like a breeze from ruby 1.8 with
the gem built from the gemspec. I could even use the gpgme gem to
sign/encrypt/decrypt/verify some emails, so it really is a huge thing to
me.

I do have a problem running with ruby 1.9 though, with xapian not
launching correctly. 

-- 
Matthieu Rakotojaona

---

From: Gaute Hope <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 13:39:04 +0200

> to maildir syncback? Will I be able to read maildirs using Sup 0.13?

err.. that should have been syncback. maildir support will stay as it is.

Cheers, Gaute

---

From: Horacio Sanson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 18:44:56 +0900

Also considering that development of ruby 1.8.x is going to be discontinued
on June 2013 I don't find necessary to keep compatibility with it. This
would improve UTF-8 support and eliminate the hacks required to support
UTF-8 on ruby 1.8.x installations.

regards,
Horacio

---

From: Gaute Hope <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 10:17:18 +0200

Hi Horacio,

Regards, Gaute

---

From: Horacio Sanson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 10:39:08 +0900