Subject: [sup-devel] [issue64] Crash on sup start

From: anonymous <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 04:03:14 +0000

New submission from anonymous:

sup crashed after I sent an email, and won't start anymore.

This is with the latest git version. Ubuntu/Karmic.

[Tue Feb 09 14:59:30 +1100 2010] ERROR: oh crap, an exception
----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm very sorry. It seems that an error occurred in Sup. Please
accept my sincere apologies. Please submit the contents of
/home/brian/.sup/exception-log.txt and a brief report of the
circumstances to http://masanjin.net/sup-bugs/ so that I might
address this problem. Thank you!

Sincerely,
William
----------------------------------------------------------------
--- RuntimeError from thread: load threads for thread-index-mode

/home/brian/tree/sup/lib/sup/xapian_index.rb:348:in `find_docid'
/home/brian/tree/sup/lib/sup/xapian_index.rb:353:in `find_doc'
/home/brian/tree/sup/lib/sup/xapian_index.rb:363:in `get_entry'
/home/brian/tree/sup/lib/sup/xapian_index.rb:77:in `build_message'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/monitor.rb:242:in `synchronize'
/home/brian/tree/sup/lib/sup/xapian_index.rb:372:in `synchronize'
/home/brian/tree/sup/lib/sup/xapian_index.rb:77:in `build_message'
/home/brian/tree/sup/lib/sup/xapian_index.rb:121:in `each_id_by_date'
/home/brian/tree/sup/lib/sup/thread.rb:332:in `call'
/home/brian/tree/sup/lib/sup/thread.rb:332:in `load_n_threads'
/home/brian/tree/sup/lib/sup/xapian_index.rb:121:in `each_id_by_date'
/home/brian/tree/sup/lib/sup/xapian_index.rb:114:in `each_id'
/home/brian/tree/sup/lib/sup/xapian_index.rb:114:in `each'
/home/brian/tree/sup/lib/sup/xapian_index.rb:114:in `each_id'
/home/brian/tree/sup/lib/sup/xapian_index.rb:121:in `each_id_by_date'
/home/brian/tree/sup/lib/sup/thread.rb:328:in `load_n_threads'
/home/brian/tree/sup/lib/sup/modes/thread-index-mode.rb:630:in 
`__unprotected_load_n_threads'
(eval):12:in `load_n_threads'
/home/brian/tree/sup/lib/sup/modes/thread-index-mode.rb:614:in 
`load_n_threads_background'
/home/brian/tree/sup/lib/sup.rb:77:in `reporting_thread'
/home/brian/tree/sup/lib/sup.rb:75:in `initialize'
/home/brian/tree/sup/lib/sup.rb:75:in `new'
/home/brian/tree/sup/lib/sup.rb:75:in `reporting_thread'
/home/brian/tree/sup/lib/sup/modes/thread-index-mode.rb:613:in 
`load_n_threads_background'
/home/brian/tree/sup/lib/sup/modes/thread-index-mode.rb:684:in 
`__unprotected_load_threads'
(eval):12:in `load_threads'
/home/brian/tree/sup/bin/sup:226

Brian May

----------
messages: 155
nosy: anonymous
priority: bug
ruby_version: 4.2
status: unread
sup_version: git
title: Crash on sup start

_________________________________________
Sup issue tracker <[email-masked]>
<http://masanjin.net/sup-bugs/issue64>
_________________________________________
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel

---

From: Tero Tilus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 09:41:31 +0200

Sorry, I replied using mail before I checked further messages in this
tracker.

Could you be able to identify the offending docid and maybe the
mail(s) that docid points to?  Just to get a hint on what happened.
Hit ~ to get console buffer where you can play just like in
devel/console.sh, see
<http://sup.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?ProgrammaticallyAccessingSupsIndex>

-- 
Tero Tilus ## 050 3635 235 ## http://tero.tilus.net/
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel

---

From: Gaute Hope <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 23:21:10 +0200

> [Tue Feb 09 14:59:30 +1100 2010] ERROR: oh crap, an exception

This just happened to me as well. Commenting out the fail lets me start up.

- gaute

---

From: Tero Tilus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 09:16:34 +0200

> sup crashed after I sent an email, and won't start anymore.

I expect the exception log is the failing start?  Index seems to be in
inconsistent state.

Could you describe in more detail how exactly sup crashed after
sending mail.  When exactly it crashed?  What did it say?

You can try to get back on your feet by recreating your index.  Try
creating sup-dump (back up index) first so that you can preserve
labels.  If that doesn't work, you unfortunately can't preserve your
message states.  But don't throw your old index away just yet, before
sup-sync do cd ~/.sup/; mv xapian xapian.bak .  We might find another
way to recover.

Quoting from http://sup.rubyforge.org/FAQ.txt

Q: How do I back up my index?
A: Since the contents of the messages are recoverable from their
   sources using sup-sync, all you need to back up is the message
   state. To do this, simply run:
      sup-dump > <dumpfile>
   This will save all message state in a big text file, which you
   should probably compress.

Q: How do I restore the message state I saved in my state dump?
A: Run:
     sup-sync [<source>+] --restored --restore <dumpfile>
   where <dumpfile> was created as above.