Subject: Re: [sup-talk] Github organization for sup and heliotrope

From: Hamish D <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 23:43:01 +0000

> Right, should probably go and dig up various patches I've copied off
> the email list that I wasn't sure about and turn them into pull
> requests to open up discussion on them.

I've started doing that with 4 well formatted patches I wasn't
entirely sure about (3 from Gaute) and put my comments on those pull
requests. If I get good answers we can merge them.

Got a few more diffs I'll have to get to another night.

Hamish

---

From: Gaute Hope <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 21:52:01 +0100

Hi,

I think this is a step in the right direction - given that there has 
been silence on wmorgans part so long.

Kepping things in one place does work alot better, even if it means 
sacrificing a few features - I think that keeping the wiki along with 
the rest of the organization is the best.  Also github is not linked or 
dependant on any one admin / developer, so I think for this kind of 
project it is ideal - expanding to a proper web site is no biggie with 
github either, making future possible migration even easier.

I'd like to be part of the organization, but I am probably not going to 
be active enough to be an administrator, github name: gauteh.

Cheers, Gaute

On to. 17. jan. 2013 kl. 21.15 +0100, Matthieu Rakotojaona wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've set up a github organization at https://github.com/sup-heliotrope
> for managing sup, heliotrope, turnsole and any needed bit in the
> future. I've already added Hamish Downer (known as foobacca on github)
> as an administrator; he has the rights to do whatever is needed on the
> organization. Feel free to give me your github account names and I
> will add you to the administrators team. I believe this is doable for
> the moment because we are only a few people interested in
> sup/heliotrope. If (when !) the popularity grows, we might want to
> change the governance model.
>
> I've been quite hesitant to use github because of the closed model (I
> like running my own thing if possible) and wanted to run my own
> redmine. However, github offers many advantages (uptime, speed, quick
> visibility) and the data isn't that closed : wiki are just plain text
> in git that can be exported, and there are more than complete APIs [0]
> for issues. However, I'd like to keep the wiki in Hamish's ikiwiki
> because I like it much better (but this is just personal preference)
>
> I took the liberty of creating a repo for sup, which is just a
> straight copy of git://gitorious.org/sup/mainline.git. I must admit I
> don't follow sup's development that much, so feel free to do what you
> want there. I've also set up a repo for sup with master being
> William's master branch. I'm quite attracted to the git-flow [1]
> model; I propose we follow it, and have therefore created a develop
> branch which is just a branch at the same level as master. Please,
> feel free to fork develop and code/test over it. I already have a
> bunch of propositions to do and will soon put them in the repo (I just
> realized my own repo was way too dirty to put it up now)
>
> William, I know you are alive and well thanks to your tweetstream; If
> you read this, I hope you won't take this organization as a treason of
> any sort. It's just that the lack of activity on your repo is too
> saddening for the development of heliotrope.
>
> I'm sure we can do it.
>
> See you soon,
>
> [0] http://developer.github.com/v3/issues/
> [1] http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/
>
> --
> Matthieu RAKOTOJAONA
> _______________________________________________
> sup-talk mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-talk

---

From: Hamish D <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 23:01:00 +0000

> I'm quite attracted to the git-flow [1]

I've pushed the next branch from the old sup repo to the develop
branch of the new sup repo. Those are patches I'd previously reviewed
and accepted.

What is currently on master is what I was thinking about asking
William to release as sup 0.13 but I never quite made that happen.

There are various other branches in the old git repo aswell. Do we
want to put them all on github for merging in our own sweet time? Or
just review them locally and only push the good ones?

Hamish
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel

---

From: Hamish D <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 21:09:18 +0000

> be active enough to be an administrator, github name: gauteh.

OK, I've set up a team called committers (with commit access to all
repos) and added you. Also happy to make you an owner if you want.

I'm don't have strong views on where the wiki should be, but it would
be nice if people can just go and edit it with minimal fuss. It looks
like you'd have to be given access to edit the github wiki, so a bit
of a higher barrier to entry which I would prefer to not put in
people's way.  But if we change our minds later (or if everyone
prefers it) then I have the pages as markdown, so transferring it
across to the github wiki would be very little work.

Hamish

---

From: Matthieu Rakotojaona <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 21:15:01 +0100

Hello,

I'm sure we can do it.

See you soon,