Subject: [sup-devel] Crash, getting "wrong id on nil" when loading new messages

From: Eric Gerlach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 15:15:40 -0400

I get the following crash when loading more messages (at a certain
point).  I've created an issue for it (111), but I'd like some help
debugging this further.  I'm pretty sure it's caused by some sort of
problematic message in my Maildir, but I don't know which one.  I'm
pretty good with Ruby, but not so much with the sup codebase.

I've traced it down to ThreadIndexMode#update, particularly the part
where it calls t.first.id.  I've used ruby-debug to be able to isolate
the particular thread, and the thread has no children, but then I don't
quite know what to do from there.  How can I trace a thread object back
to its origins?

Help?

Cheers,

Eric

wrong id called on nil
/var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/sup-0.11/lib/sup.rb:19:in `id'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/sup/modes/thread-index-mode.rb:226:in `update'
/var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/sup-0.11/lib/sup/hook.rb:55:in `sort_by'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/sup/modes/thread-index-mode.rb:226:in `each'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/sup/modes/thread-index-mode.rb:226:in `sort_by'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/sup/modes/thread-index-mode.rb:226:in `update'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/sup/modes/thread-index-mode.rb:224:in `synchronize'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/sup/modes/thread-index-mode.rb:224:in `update'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/sup/modes/thread-index-mode.rb:642:in
`__unprotected_load_n_threads'
(eval):12:in `load_n_threads'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/sup/modes/thread-index-mode.rb:614:in
`load_n_threads_background'
/var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/sup-0.11/lib/sup.rb:74:in `reporting_thread'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/sup/modes/thread-index-mode.rb:613:in
`load_n_threads_background'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/sup/modes/thread-index-mode.rb:684:in
`__unprotected_load_threads'
(eval):12:in `load_threads'
/var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/sup-0.11/lib/sup/mode.rb:59:in `send'
/var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/sup-0.11/lib/sup/mode.rb:59:in `handle_input'
/var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/sup-0.11/lib/sup/buffer.rb:279:in `handle_input'
/var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/sup-0.11/bin/sup:279
/var/lib/gems/1.8/bin/sup:19:in `load'
/var/lib/gems/1.8/bin/sup:19
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel

---

From: Ben Walton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 15:37:10 -0400

Excerpts from Eric Gerlach's message of Tue Jul 20 15:15:40 -0400 2010:

Hi Eric,

> pretty good with Ruby, but not so much with the sup codebase.

I'm pretty sure that issue is fixed in next.  I used to get hit by it
but haven't for some time since Rich committed some fixes for it.

Try running from the git codebase instead of the gem and see if it
goes away.

HTH.
-Ben
--
Ben Walton
Systems Programmer - CHASS
University of Toronto
C:416.407.5610 | W:416.978.4302

---

From: Eric Gerlach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 16:11:33 -0400

> Try running from the git codebase instead of the gem and see if it

It went away.  I'll go close that bug I created now.  Thanks for the
help!

Cheers,

Eric