Subject: [sup-devel] patch backlog cleared / plans

From: Rich Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 15:29:35 -0500

AFAIK I've applied or replied to all the patches floating on the list.
If I've ignored one please reply to it to let me know.

My current plan is to nuke ferret, make a few utf8 fixes, and then
release 0.11 in about a week with what's currently on master (big
features: saved searches and 256 color support). I'll also add a
deprecation warning to IMAP/mbox+ssh so that I can kill them on master
immediately after the release (giving me freedom to refactor the source
interface).

Once that's done, I'm going to gradually start integrating sup-server
features. First up is sup-cmd, which is basically an (incompatible)
notmuch CLI. This could be useful by itself (it outputs YAML, so it's
surprisingly human readable). Next is a sup-server executable that
sup-cmd connects to. Then comes an intermediate stage where a sup-server
can run inside the Ncurses UI, so that sup-cmd and the UI can be used
simultaneously. Finally, the difficult work of converting the UI to use
sup-server instead of accessing the index directly.

A major benefit of having a sup-server even if the UI can't use it is to
get some test coverage on Index internals.

I'll want to have a discussion about how best to change the UI to use
sup-server closer to that time. sup-server uses Actors and in the long
run I'd like to move the UI to that if only to kill our locking bugs. It
probably isn't necessary to actorify the UI to get it to use sup-server.

The release schedule for 0.12 will mostly depend on incoming patches. I
want to include sup-cmd at least so that people can figure out cool
things to do with it (more UIs).

I also hope to see maildir sync-back support in 0.12. Many people I've
tried to convert use mobile clients and tell me this is a dealbreaker,
so I think this is a very important feature. Is anyone currently working
on it?
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel