Subject: Security advisory, releases 0.13.2.1 and 0.14.1.1

From: Gaute Hope <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 11:54:58 +0100

Greetings,

Security advisory (#SBU1) for Sup

We have been notified of an potential exploit in the somewhat careless
way Sup treats attachment metadata in received e-mails. The issues
should now be fixed and I have released Sup 0.13.2.1 and 0.14.1.1 which
incorporates these fixes. Please upgrade immediately and also ensure
that your mime-decode or mime-view hooks are secure [0], [1].

This is specifically related to using quotes (',") around filename or
content_type which is already escaped using Ruby Shellwords.escape -
this means that the string (content_type, filename) is intended to be
used _without_ any further quotes. Please make sure that if you use
.mailcap (non OSX systems), you do not quote the string.

Credit goes to: joernchen of Phenoelit (http://phenoelit.de) who
discovered and suggested fixes for these issues.

[0] https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/wiki/Viewing-Attachments
[1] https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/wiki/Secure-usage-of-Sup

You can use 'gem' to upgrade or install sup. Please report any issues
to: https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/issues

Regards, Gaute

---

From: "rara7020 ." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 14:51:03 +0100

Hello,

Nice catch. Thank you for your management of this issue.

-- 
Matthieu RAKOTOJAONA
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel

---

From: Gaute Hope <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 09:38:04 +0100

> to: https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/issues

For those interested; joernchens report at full-disclosure:

* http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2013/Oct/272
* http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2013/Oct/att-272/whatsup.txt (attached)

- gaute