Subject: Re: [sup-devel] sup for sale

From: Tero Tilus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 22:04:25 +0200

William Morgan, 2010-02-25 16:51:
> But if someone wants to take the ball and be an official maintainer,
> I will give you my blessing and the power to gem push new releases.

One in particular comes into my mind.  Rich Lane has done an awesome
job with sup and shown exceptional vision with his work on sup-server.
IMHO, if Rich wants to catch the ball, he would make a great lead
maintainer.

> Otherwise, things will continue as they do now.

Which, I have to say, is not really bad at all.  People develop,
patches get merged and released.  Cycle could always be tighter, of
course.  But sup is alive and strong.

-- 
Tero Tilus ## 050 3635 235 ## http://tero.tilus.net/
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel

---

From: Tero Tilus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 18:07:40 +0200

Rich Lane, 2010-02-25 23:55:
> I'm willing to do it.

Awesome!  We love you Rich!  ;)

---

From: William Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 09:05:57 -0500

Reformatted excerpts from William Morgan's message of 2010-02-25:
> For Gemcutter, I think I will need the secret email address that you
> signed up with to add you as someone who can push new releases.

Ok, you're able to push new gems as well. Please go crazy, and thanks!
-- 
William <[email-masked]>
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel

---

From: Christian Dietrich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 16:32:39 +0100

Excerpts from William Morgan's message of Thu Feb 25 15:51:55 +0100 2010:
> But if someone wants to take the ball and be an official maintainer, I
> will give you my blessing and the power to gem push new releases. You
> don't even have to maintain my current crazy branching scheme!

Hi, 
i haven't contributed much to sup yet (except one patch, that wasn't
applied) but i thinks its a really great mailer, that is it worth to
be activly continued. 

In the last half year i made the experience that it is easier for
the single programmer (pusher) if he isn't the only one who is
allowed to push the upstream repository. Because there you have
always the possibility to say: Hm, i don't have the time in the next
3 weeks or so, but there is somebody else, who does merging/patching
and bugfixing. Perhaps it isn't that bad to give push right to a
group of people, who activly developed sup in the past.

Just my 2 cents

greetz didi

> Otherwise, things will continue as they do now.

I would really like to do more developing in sup, but without
getting your patches applied its a little bit frustrating.
-- 
No documentation is better than bad documentation
-- Das Ausdrucken dieser Mail wird urheberrechtlich verfolgt.
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel

---

From: Rich Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 23:08:11 -0400

I'm an idiot for not realizing this earlier, but it turns out I haven't
been subscribed to the sup lists since late July. I guess too many mails
bounced. I've been working on other projects and Sup just fell off my
radar. Sorry about that.

I'd be very happy to have someone else step up to help. I haven't gone
through the list archives yet, is there anyone who's volunteered?
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel

---

From: Michael Stapelberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 00:47:43 +0200

Hi Alvaro,

Excerpts from Alvaro Herrera's message of 2010-09-23 19:46:31 +0200:
> I just want to add that it's a bit discouraging to see that the master
> branch doesn't move a bit for a long time.  So it would be very good for
> morale of us poor users to have someone else pushing patches, even if
> it's just the minor bugfixes that we see pop up on the mailing lists.
+1.

Last commit on sup/mainline:master is from 2010-07-16, which is nearly three
months. No offense, Rich, but if you don’t have time to merge patches and/or
respond to mails either, it would be a good idea to get someone else the
permissions to help you out.

Best regards,
Michael

---

From: Rich Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 16:55:36 -0500

I'm willing to do it. I've been working on other projects lately, but I
can make time for Sup. I created accounts (rlane) at gitorious and
rubyforge.
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel

---

From: William Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 09:51:55 -0500

Hi all,

As has probably become painfully obvious to you all, my motivation for
developing and maintaing Sup has been waning over the past year.

I use Sup every day as my primary email client, so its bugs, problems
and misfeatures irritate me every day.  This provides just enough
motivation for the current glacial pace of maintainership, which I'm
happy to continue doing. Sup will not die so long as I am around to use
it.

---

From: William Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 18:26:54 -0500

Reformatted excerpts from Rich Lane's message of 2010-02-25:
> I'm willing to do it. I've been working on other projects lately, but
> I can make time for Sup. I created accounts (rlane) at gitorious and
> rubyforge.

Awesome. I have added you to RubyForge and Gitorious. For Gemcutter, I
think I will need the secret email address that you signed up with to
add you as someone who can push new releases.
-- 
William <[email-masked]>
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 13:46:31 -0400

Excerpts from Gaute Hope's message of jue sep 23 07:50:23 -0400 2010:

> First; thanks to both William and Rich for the great work on sup. I'm
> using it full time now since I don't-really-know-anymore, there are
> occasional bugs and more than a few problems with ruby 1.9 - but things
> are starting to get along. Awesome work!

Seconded!

> I just want to support the point of Christian Dietrich of perhaps adding
> another maintainer/committer to be able to take some of the load when
> Rich might be busy or gone for a while. I agree that it can be
> de-motivating to contribute when you see the patches pile up, I imagine
> it must be harder to go through the backlog as well. Still think Rich is
> the man for the job thou, so he's the boss!

(I don't have a lot to offer myself in term of patches, but I do have a
couple of very minor fixes sitting in my private tree just because it
seems rather pointless to send them along right now.)

-- 
Álvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel

---

From: Gaute Hope <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 13:50:23 +0200

Hi,

Best regards, Gaute