Subject: Re: [sup-devel] Ruby 1.8 compatibility patches for Heliotrope and Turnsole.

From: Matthieu Rakotojaona <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 08:39:35 +0100

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 6:50 AM, William Morgan <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> P.S. Did you take a look at
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email-masked]/msg01071.html ?
>> I'm interested in two-way sync as much as is sanely possible (both
>> gmail and regular imap), without it, I sadly don't think I'll ever be
>> able to become more than a casual observer.
>
> I am more than happy that someone is working on this, but it's not a
> problem I personally want to address.

I am currently working on a IMAP frontend to heliotrope [0]. It is not
entirely functional yet (mostly has encoding errors), but it's more or
less functional. Coded with love, not expertise.

Problem : to use this, you will have to use a modified version of
heliotrope (mostly only a new method in heliotrope-client to fetch
only messageinfos and not the whole body if needed). I'll send a merge
request when I have the time, that is next year.

Happy new year !

[0] https://github.com/rakoo/imaptrope
-- 
Matthieu RAKOTOJAONA
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel

---

From: William Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 21:50:46 -0800

Excerpts from Robin Burchell's message of Tue Dec 13 08:46:30 -0800 2011:
> I recently tried Turnsole/Heliotrope from git. I'm forced (thanks to
> Fedora) to use Ruby 1.8, and noticed there were at least one issue in
> both Heliotrope and Turnsole. Patches attached.

Thank you. I've applied the IMAP one. The escapeHTML issue I believe
I've fixed elsewise. Please let me know if it doesn't work for you.

As for the string encoding error, I'm reluctant to apply string encoding
patches like that because they tend to infect the entire codebase. (Sup
is a good example of this.) If you can figure out the source of the
corrupted string, then we can fix the problem at the point where it's
brought into the system rather than having to fix every possible place.

I am more than happy that someone is working on this, but it's not a
problem I personally want to address. I would rather make Heliotrope so
awesome that it's worth switching to, and provide easy exit mechanisms
so that you aren't trapped.
-- 
William <[email-masked]>
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel

---

From: William Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 11:35:29 -0800

Excerpts from Matthieu Rakotojaona's message of 2011-12-29 23:39:35 -0800:
> I am currently working on a IMAP frontend to heliotrope [0].

This is something I'm really excited about having, since it means you
will be able to read your email from all sorts of other clients,
including your phone.

> request when I have the time, that is next year.

That shouldn't be a problem to merge in.
-- 
William <[email-masked]>
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel

---

From: William Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 21:45:54 -0800

Excerpts from Matthieu Rakotojaona's message of 2012-01-04 15:12:06 -0800:
> * imaptrope-compliance, which adds some methods;

This looks largely ok but there are some things I would like to change
before incorporating it (including the use of tabs!). If you make a
github pull request we can go over the details.

> * mail_gem, which replaces rmail with mail from
> https://github.com/mikel/mail. The former isn't maintained anymore
> while the latter is, which seems better to me.

I would love to get away from RMail but the Mail gem has historically
been the source of many Rails-centric dependencies. They appear to have
*finally* done away with activesupport, which is great news. But there
is still a dependency on the i18n gem, which I'm not thrilled about.
I'm not sure. Maybe it's ok. Let me think about it.

Thanks for your efforts thus far!
-- 
William <[email-masked]>
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel

---

From: Matthieu Rakotojaona <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 00:12:06 +0100

Okay, for the IMAP interface (called imaptrope) to work, I implemented
some changes in heliotrope. They are available in
https://github.com/rakoo/heliotrope as 2 branches :

* master comes directly from yours, as of today;

You can then try imaptrope in https://github.com/rakoo/imaptrope.
There you will have 2 branches :

* master is  ... master
* UIDPLUS aims to follow the IMAP RFC
(www.cs.brown.edu/courses/cs161/asgn/rfc3501.html)

If you want something safe, use the 'safe' tag: It is read-only.

UIDPLUS is here to help OfflineIMAP sync imap servers. Problem is,
OfflineIMAP is still under development for IMAP-IMAP sync. I will try
to use imapsync, which looks more bullet-proof.

Adding messages to heliotrope via IMAP still is buggy, mainly because
of encoding errors. Any bug report is appreciated, of course.

Happy new year !

---

From: William Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 15:42:33 -0800

> https://github.com/rakoo/heliotrope as 2 branches :

Thanks! I will take a look.
-- 
William <[email-masked]>
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel