Subject: [sup-devel] [Heliotrope] What exactly does reordering do? Is it still necessary?

From: William Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 22:39:47 -0800

Excerpts from Michael Stapelberg's message of 2012-02-22 14:00:27 -0800:
> I just realized that I forgot to import the maildir in which I store
> my sent messages. After adding them to heliotrope, do I have to
> reorder the index?

Probably yes.

> What exactly does it do and why is that necessary?

Heliotrope only ever returns messages in the order in which they were
indexed. So if you import mail from different sources, one after the
other, unless those sources happen to be in chronological order, you
will have to reorder.

It's a little hard to see that this is happening because Turnsole
reorders the items it displays (for complicated reasons), but you'll
probably start to notice it as you paginate.

> I’m a bit confused because commit
> https://github.com/wmorgan/heliotrope/commit/f7bfda9dd83db1b9cd2a51ba2599da81fc1b87c1
> talks about "reindex without --reorder".

If the index ever becomes corrupted, it's nice to be able to rebuild it.
That's the only real reason to do that. (Or maybe the index format
changes in later releases, etc.)

> PS: The real time it takes to reorder my index is about 1 hour and 30
> minutes :(

Sorry. But the point of indexing is to frontload all the work, so that
import time (which has to only happen once) is slow, but search time is
fast.

-- 
William <[email-masked]>
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel

---

From: Michael Stapelberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 23:00:27 +0100

Hi,

I just realized that I forgot to import the maildir in which I store my sent
messages. After adding them to heliotrope, do I have to reorder the index? What
exactly does it do and why is that necessary?

Best regards,
Michael

PS: The real time it takes to reorder my index is about 1 hour and 30 minutes :(
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel