Subject: [sup-devel] [issue86] git-style delta storage

From: anonymous <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 02:21:02 +0000

New submission from anonymous:

Maybe this is a crazy idea, but I think it would be a well-rewarding long-term
project because if it's completed, Sup would be the first mail client to
implement it: have Sup store mail in delta storage.

An obvious raison d'être would be that storing a lot of mail would consume a
large amount of disk space, and using delta storage would greatly reduce that
amount, especially when threads that contain messages that quote each other are
present.

See http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/git/2007/9/21/270502 and
http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/git/2007/9/21/273603

Also see http://www.matthias-georgi.de/gitstore

----------
messages: 204
nosy: anonymous
priority: feature request
ruby_version: 1.9.1_p378
status: unread
sup_version: 0.11
title: git-style delta storage

_________________________________________
Sup issue tracker <[email-masked]>
<http://masanjin.net/sup-bugs/issue86>
_________________________________________
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel

---

From: Tero Tilus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 15:42:14 +0300

anonymous, 2010-03-29 05:21:
> Maybe this is a crazy idea, but I think it would be a well-rewarding
> long-term project because if it's completed, Sup would be the first
> mail client to implement it: have Sup store mail in delta storage.

Storing mail in delta storage (or git repo or whatelse) is not a crazy
idea at all.  It has quite a few benefits.  It is just that basically
sup doesn't do mail _storage_ at all.  It only reads mailstore
(currently only Maildir) and writes to (Xapian) index, which it mainly
uses.

I'm closing this for now, because (though it is a great idea in
general) IMO this is currently out of the context of sup.

status: resolved

-- 
Tero Tilus ## 050 3635 235 ## http://tero.tilus.net/
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel