Subject: [sup-devel] IMAP interface

From: Matthieu Rakotojaona <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 23:55:52 +0100

Hello everyone,

I've made some changes to imaptrope, my IMAP interface [0], to be
usable with Thunderbird. A few things :

- You will need Trollop, because it's cool
- I don't understand Thunderbird's authentication mechanisms quite
well. If you want to use it, set "localhost:10142" as the IMAP server.
There's no need for encryption
It looks like Thunderbird authenticates itself for each operation.
It's a cool thing if your server is remote, but I have a few problems
with security (next point)
- When asking for authentication methods to a IMAP server, imaptrope
answers that it can authenticate with plain text password and cram-md5
encryption.
I don't know how the latter works, so it isn't tested ... yet, as soon
as Thunderbird sees both, it tries to use cram-md5, but fails and then
uses plain authetication. So basically, you have a few seconds to wait
before each operation. I suppose you can remove this auth from the
CAPABILITY answer.
- Communications clearly are suboptimal ... many calls to the same
method in heliotrope just for one thing, basically.
- You may want to use one client at a time. Overall the server is
stateless, save for the session management, but I haven't had time to
test its multi-threading capabilities
- I still have some encoding errors, with "=0D" at the end of each line...

I don't have much time at the moment, but will keep you informed.

cya,

[0] https://github.com/rakoo/imaptrope
-- 
Matthieu RAKOTOJAONA
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel