Subject: [sup-devel] [issue59] gem install sup on osx 10.6 fails due to .bundle instead of .so being built in xapian-full

From: anonymous <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 21:38:24 +0000

New submission from anonymous:

on a default os X 10.6 machine (after updating rubygems) doing a 'gem sup
install' fails:

The problem is xapian-full is making a .bundle instead of a .so. It's easy to
change to make a .so file (just remove the -bundle and chenge the output to .so,
but I know nothing of Ruby, or how to make ruby gems behave.  I can manually
build the .so file, but then doing another 'gem install sup' just replaces the
directory I just fixed.  So I don't even know of how to work-around this.

Below is the evil details:

p.cc
libtool: compile:  g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I..
-I/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0
-I/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin10.0
-fno-strict-aliasing -Wall -Wno-unused -Wno-uninitialized -fvisibility=hidden
-I/Users/tara/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/xapian-full-1.1.3.1/xapian-core-1.1.3/include
-g -O2 -MT xapian_wrap.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/xapian_wrap.Tpo -c xapian_wrap.cc 
-fno-common -DPIC -o .libs/xapian_wrap.o
mv -f .deps/xapian_wrap.Tpo .deps/xapian_wrap.Plo
/bin/sh ../libtool  --tag=CXX   --mode=link g++ -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall
-Wno-unused -Wno-uninitialized -fvisibility=hidden
-I/Users/tara/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/xapian-full-1.1.3.1/xapian-core-1.1.3/include
-g -O2 -avoid-version -module -shrext ".bundle"   -o _xapian.la -rpath
/Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/universal-darwin10.0 xapian_wrap.lo
/Users/tara/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/xapian-full-1.1.3.1/xapian-core-1.1.3/libxapian-1.1.la
-lstdc++  
libtool: link: g++ -Wl,-undefined -Wl,dynamic_lookup -o .libs/_xapian.bundle
-bundle  .libs/xapian_wrap.o  
/Users/tara/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/xapian-full-1.1.3.1/xapian-core-1.1.3/.libs/libxapian-1.1.dylib
-lz -lstdc++   
libtool: link: dsymutil .libs/_xapian.bundle || :
libtool: link: ( cd ".libs" && rm -f "_xapian.la" && ln -s "../_xapian.la"
"_xapian.la" )
mkdir -p lib
cp xapian-bindings-1.1.3/ruby/.libs/_xapian.so lib
cp: xapian-bindings-1.1.3/ruby/.libs/_xapian.so: No such file or directory
rake aborted!

/Users/tara/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/xapian-full-1.1.3.1/rakefile:6:in `system!'
(See full trace by running task with --trace)

Gem files will remain installed in
/Users/tara/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/xapian-full-1.1.3.1 for inspection.
Results logged to /Users/tara/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/xapian-full-1.1.3.1/gem_make.out
tara@mudita ~ % gem install ferret

----------
messages: 144
nosy: anonymous
priority: bug
ruby_version: 1.8.7
status: unread
sup_version: 0.10.2
title: gem install sup on osx 10.6 fails due to .bundle instead of .so being built in xapian-full

_________________________________________
Sup issue tracker <[email-masked]>
<http://masanjin.net/sup-bugs/issue59>
_________________________________________
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel

---

From: Rich Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 17:53:45 -0500

> directory I just fixed.  So I don't even know of how to work-around this.

I just pushed xapian-full-1.1.3.2 which should fix this issue.
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel