Subject: [sup-devel] [Heliotrope] why whistlepig?

From: William Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 22:39:50 -0800

Excerpts from Serge Z's message of 2012-02-23 21:19:07 -0800:
> Why not xapian?

At least as of a year ago when I looked at Xapian, the incremental
indexing was painful (you had to keep a separate smaller corpus of
additions, reindex it every time a new document was added, and merge
when it got too big), doing anything outside of indexing MySQL rows was
extremely painful (you had to use some weird XML format that I could
never get quite right), and there was no way to have mutable arbitrary
labels.

I also prefer to keep everything in a single process, but that's
not a hard requirement.

-- 
William <[email-masked]>
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel

---

From: Serge Z <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 09:19:07 +0400

Hi,

subj.
Why not xapian?

Thanks