Subject: Re: [sup-devel] reading html mails

From: Ruthard Baudach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 14:13:49 +0200

>== Auszüge aus der Nachricht von  Whyme Lyu vom 2013-07-08 20:42:
> Excerpts from Ruthard Baudach's message of 2013-07-05 18:32:48 +0800:
> > In the last years I'm receiving more and more emails containing only
> > html-formatted text and no plain text.
> 
> I'm feeling the same pain here mainly due to unpolished in-house services
> sending out html-only mails. More annoyingly, sup doesn't index these mails
> since HTML is treated as attachments.
What do you mean by "sup doesn't index" these mails -- I have no
problems with them except the annoying need of opening them manually,
that is solved with the mime-decode hook?

Greetings,

Ruthard
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel

---

From: Ruthard Baudach <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 12:32:48 +0200

sup displays these emails as empty mails with an html attachment.

It would be great if sup was able to distinguish between actual html
attachments and such deficient mails, and would extract and display
the text part of these mails.

I'm not able to hack this myself at the moment, but perhaps someone
picks up the idea?

It's written a lot of times, but let me repeat it:

Good that sup is alive again!

Greetings to all

Ruthard

---

From: Whyme Lyu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 02:42:34 +0800

I've created an issue[1] on Github to talk about it further.

[1]: https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/issues/101

-- 
-whyme http://randombu.gs/
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel

---

From: Markus Klinik <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 15:15:48 +0200

> the text part of these mails.

Hi,

I have a mime-decode hook for exactly this problem. It unfolds html
attachments if there is no plaintext part in an email.

    $ cat mime-decode.rb 
    unless sibling_types.member? "text/plain"
      case content_type
      when "text/html"
       `/usr/bin/elinks -dump '#{filename}'`
      end
    end

Best regards,
Markus

---

From: Vojtech Aschenbrenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 14:02:43 +0200

> the text part of these mails.

This can be solved with mime-decode hook [1].

[1] https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/wiki/Viewing-Attachments
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel

---

From: Mark Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 17:02:10 -0400

> that is solved with the mime-decode hook?

I can verify the problem on my installation of sup.  It doesn't index
the HTML-only emails, i.e., it doesn't read the contents of the HTML
attachment to put those contents in the xapian index.  The result is
that you can't search for words that appear in an HTML-only email and
expect that email to appear in the search results.
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel