Subject: Re: [sup-devel] sup 0.15?

From: Eric Weikl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 20:42:50 +0100

Hi Steven,

On 11/11/2013 14:18:45, Steven Hum wrote:
> Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. My sources.yaml file was
> unchanged from sup 0.14.x but only had one source defined in it. I was
> using a startup.rb hook to scan and define my offlineimap sources and
> that is where the problem seems to have originated for sup 0.15.0..
> (due to a possible change to the SourceManager.add_source?)
> 
> By eliminating my startup hook and manually defining all my sources, I
> was able to reinitialize the xapian mail database and all seems to be
> functioning now.
> 
> Guess I will have to poke around to find out why my startup hook 
> appears to be causing problems.

Hmm... I'm not aware of any changes that could cause that behavior.
Could you post your hook? I'd like to make sure we didn't change any
expected behavior.

Cheers,
Eric

---

From: Eric Weikl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 17:17:51 +0100

Hi Steven,

I'm sorry for the (very) late answer. I couldn't quite reproduce the
problem, but I did notice that your startup hook is missing a parameter
in the call to Maildir.new. This commit[1] added a new parameter named
sync_back with a default value, which probably leads to your error.

After I added that parameter in my modified version of your hook, I
didn't see any more errors.

References:
[1] https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/commit/96113d0a62b2deb613cd1d54d59fdc2ad534acb7

Cheers,
Eric

---

From: Steven Hum <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 10:42:00 -0500

Hello Gaute,

I did a gem install of 0.15.0 on a Debian Sid system and got this error:

--- RuntimeError from thread: load threads for thread-index-mode
invalid source 13
/var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.15.0/lib/sup/index.rb:237:in `block in build_message'
/var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.15.0/lib/sup/index.rb:235:in `map'
/var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.15.0/lib/sup/index.rb:235:in `build_message'
/var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.15.0/lib/sup/index.rb:161:in `block (2 levels) in each_id_by_date'
/var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.15.0/lib/sup/thread.rb:338:in `call'
/var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.15.0/lib/sup/thread.rb:338:in `block in load_n_threads'
/var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.15.0/lib/sup/index.rb:161:in `block in each_id_by_date'
/var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.15.0/lib/sup/index.rb:284:in `block in each_id'
/var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.15.0/lib/sup/index.rb:284:in `each'
/var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.15.0/lib/sup/index.rb:284:in `each_id'
/var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.15.0/lib/sup/index.rb:161:in `each_id_by_date'
/var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.15.0/lib/sup/thread.rb:334:in `load_n_threads'
/var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.15.0/lib/sup/modes/thread_index_mode.rb:674:in `load_n_threads'
(eval):12:in `load_n_threads'
/var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.15.0/lib/sup/modes/thread_index_mode.rb:658:in `block in load_n_threads_background'
/var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.15.0/lib/sup.rb:87:in `block in reporting_thread'

Gem version 0.14.1.1 works fine on Debian Sid (rmail did not appear to 
be installed with 0.15.0 but that doesn't seem to be related to the 
above error).

Regards,
Steven

Excerpts from Gaute Hope's message of 2013-11-05 02:51:42 -0500:
> hi there,
> 
> any objections to releasing sup 0.15 (I figured it deserves a whole new
> version number!) with maildir-syncback as it is now? Is it ready to be
> released into the wild?
> 
> (maildir-syncback is now in 'develop' - go ahead and test if you
> haven't)
> 
> Cheers, Gaute
> 

-- 
"Truth or die."

Steven Hum  
5 - 28 Gilmour St  
Ottawa, ON K2P 0N3  
email [email-masked]  
tel 613.237.9058

---

From: Steven Hum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 08:18:45 -0500

Hello Gaute,

By eliminating my startup hook and manually defining all my sources, 
I was able to reinitialize the xapian mail database and all seems to be 
functioning now.

Regards,
Steven

Excerpts from Gaute Hope's message of 2013-11-10 14:45:13 -0500:
> Excerpts from Steven Hum's message of 2013-11-10 16:42:00 +0100:
> have you changed your sources.yaml in ~/.sup somehow? It seems like sup
> can't find source number 13.
> 
> Sup 0.14.1.1 worked? If you upgraded from before 0.14 you need to follow
> these instructions:
> 
>   https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/wiki/Migration-0.13-to-0.14
> 
> Btw; I haven't seen anything about sup-rmail-1.0.1, is that a debian
> package?
> 
> - gaute

-- 
"Truth or die."

Steven Hum  
5 - 28 Gilmour St  
Ottawa, ON K2P 0N3  
email [email-masked]  
tel 613.237.9058

---

From: Gaute Hope <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 14:31:57 +0100

> appears to be causing problems.

Yes, weird. Perhaps some of the maildir-syncback startup checking has
messed up the startup hook? (@ericweikl: poke.)

Great that you figured it out.

Regards, Gaute

---

From: Matthieu Rakotojaona <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 20:36:06 +0100

Hello,

Excerpts from Gaute Hope's message of 2013-11-05 08:51:42 +0100:
> any objections to releasing sup 0.15

No objections for me (but I haven't been using the maildir-syncback
feature much, so that's not really much...)

-- 
Matthieu Rakotojaona
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel

---

From: Gaute Hope <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 08:51:42 +0100

hi there,

Cheers, Gaute

---

From: Gaute Hope <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 20:45:13 +0100

Hi Steven,

- gaute

---

From: Steven Hum <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 10:49:47 -0500

Edit: regarding the rmail comment.. I noticed the sup-rmail-1.0.1 gem 
which I presume sup-0.15.0 installed.

Steven

-- 
"Truth or die."

Steven Hum  
5 - 28 Gilmour St  
Ottawa, ON K2P 0N3  
email [email-masked]  
tel 613.237.9058

---

From: Steven Hum <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 19:47:55 -0500

Hello Eric,

Attached is my startup.rb file. Essentially, it scans my offlineimap 
folder directory for the mail folders (and labels them with their 
folder names -- I use imapfilter to pre-process my incoming mail and 
move my mail to the appropriate folders). If I initialize (rm) the 
xapian database, all mail is initially archived.

Hope this helps. For now, I have simply created an explicit 
sources.yaml file (one to archive all to rebuild the mail database from 
scratch, one with selected archiving to simulate my startup hook) -- so 
sup behaves as before.

Regards,
Steven

-- 
"Truth or die."

Steven Hum  
5 - 28 Gilmour St  
Ottawa, ON K2P 0N3  
email [email-masked]  
tel 613.237.9058