Subject: [sup-devel] UTF-8 error when sending messages

From: Adeel Ahmad Khan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 20:00:16 -0500

When sending a message containing certain characters, like guillemets
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillemets>, I experiencing the following error.

    --- ArgumentError from thread: main
    invalid byte sequence in UTF-8
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.12.1/lib/sup/modes/edit-message-mode.rb:497:in `block in mentions_attachments?'
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.12.1/lib/sup/modes/edit-message-mode.rb:497:in `each'
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.12.1/lib/sup/modes/edit-message-mode.rb:497:in `any?'
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.12.1/lib/sup/modes/edit-message-mode.rb:497:in `mentions_attachments?'
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.12.1/lib/sup/modes/edit-message-mode.rb:339:in `send_message'
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.12.1/lib/sup/mode.rb:59:in `handle_input'
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.12.1/lib/sup/buffer.rb:277:in `handle_input'
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.12.1/bin/sup:260:in `<module:Redwood>'
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.12.1/bin/sup:69:in `<top (required)>'
    /usr/bin/sup:19:in `load'
    /usr/bin/sup:19:in `<main>'

After setting :confirm_no_attachments and :confirm_top_posting to false, I get
the following error instead.

    --- ArgumentError from thread: main
    invalid byte sequence in UTF-8
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.12.1/lib/sup/modes/edit-message-mode.rb:389:in `build_message'
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.12.1/lib/sup/modes/edit-message-mode.rb:354:in `send_message'
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.12.1/lib/sup/mode.rb:59:in `handle_input'
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.12.1/lib/sup/buffer.rb:277:in `handle_input'
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.12.1/bin/sup:260:in `<module:Redwood>'
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/sup-0.12.1/bin/sup:69:in `<top (required)>'
    /usr/bin/sup:19:in `load'
    /usr/bin/sup:19:in `<main>'

I am using a nearly fresh installation of Sup 0.12.1 with Ruby 1.9.2p136.  I
have LOCALE="en_US.UTF-8".

Adeel
_______________________________________________
Sup-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/sup-devel